Established in 1945 by the master Giuseppe Ostuni, Oluce is the oldest Italian lighting design company that is still active today. In fact, before the war there existed only Gino Sarfatti's Arteluce, which disappeared in the late '90s, while 1948 saw the birth of Azucena and Lamperti, followed by Arredoluce and Stilnovo in 1950. But for many years it was chiefly Arteluce, Azucena and Oluce that dominated the Italian scene, creating a hub for the designers - strongly engaged first in the reconstruction and later in the birth of series production - who animated the Milanese forum: Vittoriano Viganò and BBPR, Gigi Caccia Dominioni and Ignazio Gardella, Marco Zanuso and Joe Colombo.
As early as 1951, Oluce registered a success at the IX Triennale, in the lighting section directed by Achille, Livio and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni, with an indirect incandescent luminator designed by Franco Buzzi. The company, as it was during that period, quickly reached an international public through Domus magazine, thanks to the vision of Gio Ponti. Its '50s catalogs confirm the individuality of Ostuni's work, which has yet to be fully examined in critical key. Tito Agnoli achieved an important success in 1955, with mentions at the second ''Compasso d'oro'' for two of his lamps (a floor lamp, mod. 363, and a special model for bookshelves). In 1956 two other mentions followed in rapid succession: for a truly remarkable table lamp in laminar polyvinyl, and for a pendant light (mod. 4461) with double perspex shade. And then there was the ground-breaking ''Agnoli'' model (255/387), a spot light supported on a slender stem, which in 1954 marked the decline of lampshades and the rise of highly simplified floor lamps, even for domestic lighting.